These forums are a read-only archive. Click here to go to the new forums.

Welcome to t-break Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Trying to decide between Western Digital WDTV Live Streaming vs Hub

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: WDTV Streaming vs Hub (0 member(s) have cast votes)

WDTV Streaming vs Hub?

1. Western Digital WDTV Live Streaming (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Western Digital WDTV Hub (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Boxee Box/AppleTV/etc. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

darthoz

darthoz

Sith Mod

• Members Plus
  • 14,945 posts
I'm trying to decide between Western Digital WDTV Live Streaming (Gen3) vs Hub based on the following:

1) I'd like to stop using my PC for watching movies and only use it for games. I currently use VLC for everything and I'm very happy with it.
2) I have media stored on a 2TB internal drive on my PC and my NAS
3) I'd like to use the new media player for playing media off my NAS via the network and it should be able to stream media to other media devices wirelessly such as my tablets.
4) Ideally, I wanted to use my internal drive on the Hub but realised that it has a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5" model so I'll have to sell it
5) It should support DLNA wirelessly
6) There is a Wifi dongle available for the WDTV Hub for USD 20 to enable Wifi support on it.
7) Size and heat are not a concern.
8) Sluggish UIs piss me off.

I've read countless reviews and still can't decide. Is the Hub worth purchasing considering it already has a hard drive which I don't need? What benefits does the Streaming model provide over the Hub in terms of performance, clarity, ease of use and media file support?

They both support Dolby Digital Live and DTS 5.1 via optical which is good news.

Previously, I've used the WDTV Live until I sold it as I received a WD Elements Play which died on me, so I salvaged its internal 2TB Green drive.

I'll be purchasing it locally or eBay, depending on the prices.

Finally, these are the models I'm trying to decide between:

WDTV Streaming
Posted Image

WDTV Live Hub
Posted Image

Posted Image
Thanks.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 | Asus P5QL-E | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair H70 | 8GB OCZ Reaper | Sapphire HD 5850 | LG 42SL90 LED | Thermaltake Tough Power 650 W | Jamo A402 HCS12 5.1 | Razer Barracuda AC-1 + Onza Tournament Edition | X360 Wireless Windows Controller

Posted Image

luckyarcher

luckyarcher

Apple enthusiast

• Members Plus
  • 4,872 posts
  • LocationAbu Dhabi
get the dongle, seems like the easiest option as opposed to getting a brand new device.

I thought your LED had native mkv support? If it has get yourself a 32GB pen drive for 50 dhs?
Intel Core i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-PA65-UD3-B3 | Corsair 4GB DDR3 | GALAXY GEFORCE GTX 460 768MB | Crucial 64GB C300 RealSSD 6 Gbps | Kingston SSDNow 30GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB +1.5TB | Samsung 26" T260HD | Logitech Performance MX | Logitech k750 Solar Keyboard | Logitech X-530 5.1 | Silverstone Raven 2 | Antec Earthwatts Green 650W

skyron

skyron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
The thing with streaming is that you'l require a VPN to access Hulu, Netflix, etc.

I've been using Roku 2 XS player, and haven't had any problems with Wifi/wired streaing, playing videos in multiple formats, and being able to connect my WD hard disk and various USBs to it.

Check it out here: http://www.roku.com/meet-roku

(Unfortunately I don't have have any experience with WD live, so can't give a review on that :rolleyes: )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users